Most grass species possess a life cycle where they annually dry out and die or become dormant. This process is referred to as curing and is an important factor in fire behaviour prediction as the amount of dead material in a grassland can have a dramatic effect on the fire danger. CFA has a network of volunteers across Victoria who, during the fire season make weekly observations about how dry the grasslands are in their area and provide CFA an overall picture of Victoria's grassfire risk.
If the date on the map is incorrect, you may need to refresh the page or clear your cache.
- PC Users: - hold down the Ctrl key, then F5 key
- MAC/Apple Users: - hold down Apple key, then R key or hold down Command key, then R key
Note: image sizes vary from week to week.
Grassland curing information is critical for CFA to analyse grassfire risk. The observation network consists of over 150 volunteers, and CFA is seeking more observers across the state. All that is required is that you have the ability to spend 15 minutes each week, to observe and report on grassland curing state at your field site. A quick online, self-paced training course will provide you with all you need to take consistent and repeatable observations.
What you need to do:
- Click the 'I want to become an observer button'. A member of the grassland curing team will send you a link to the online training course
- Complete the course (it takes approximately 1 hour, self-paced)
- Select a grassland curing site where you will take your observations and send in the details of the site to be added to the system.
- Commence your weekly observations! It is that easy!
Printing documents: Not all printers are the same. When making assessments by comparing grassland against reference photos, it is important to use a standard reference guide. To order the field card or field guide, please contact us with your name, address and phone number.
Phone: 9262 8646
- Grassland Curing Guide - large file! - pdf 2539k (opens in new window)
- Grassland curing field card - large file! - pdf 1083k (opens in new window)
- Fuel Hazard Assessment Guide on the Forest Fire Management Victoria website (opens in new window)
Below are the Grassland Curing Training videos. They are available to anyone to view, but please note that you will be required to watch all the videos when completing the training.
Visually measuring curing
Visually measuring fuel loads
Satellites: data from space
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for:
- Information on the grassland curing network
- Request a hard copy of the grassland curing guide, field card or the training DVDs
- How to access and use the Grassland Curing Application.
- Contact email@example.com for:
- Grassland Curing Map download errors
- System errors.